One of the questions I get asked most often is “Can kids/babies get adjusted?” or “Should kids/babies get adjusted?” The answer to both is YES!!! We like to use the phrase “from womb to tomb” because patients of all ages can benefit from pediatric chiropractic care. As I now have 2 small children of my own, I have been able to see from a new perspective how important it is to keep my kid’s spines properly aligned as they develop and grow. So we are going to give you our top 5 reasons why you should get your kiddos pediatric chiropractic care.
- Function: A properly aligned spine helps keep your child functioning at the optimum level. Making sure there is nothing interfering with the nervous system, like a misaligned spine can, will ensure your child’s brain and body can communicate as needed so they stay healthy and functioning well.
- Immune support: It has been shown as an effective treatment for babies with ear infections or colicky babies. This is because a gentle neck adjustment can help the baby’s ears drain properly. It also can boost the child’s immune function and help with digestive issues. I have seen it help many kids who struggle with asthma or bad allergies!
- Posture!!! You want to make sure as your children are growing, that the joints are properly aligned to allow for proper posture and to minimize the risk of injuries to the joints. Children spend a lot of time in poor posture positions at school and this is only increasing with the increased use of technology. Let’s make sure their spines don’t develop any bad habits that can lead to improper curvatures in the spine (scoliosis).
- Proper development! Not only do we want to allow for the bones and joints to grow and develop properly but the brain and nervous system as well! Having your kids spinal health checked regularly as they are developing can help ensure nothing is interfering with their neural development.
- Concentration: Regular chiropractic adjustments can help children who have issues concentrating or even behavioral disorders. This is because a lot of the time, those things can stem from imbalances in the child hormone levels or endocrine function. The goal of chiropractic adjustments is to restore homeostasis (or proper balance) in the body.